Welcome to the TherraWood UK website.
This is the first in what we plan to be a wide range of articles and updates to help explain not only who we are, but also what we are uniquely positioned to supply the building and construction industry.
In the coming months you can expect to read a whole lot more about particular TherraWood products, features that make our material so unique, and examples of TherraWood being used on a commercial scale to great benefit.
Here you will find an introduction to the TherraWood product and a thorough company background.
What is TherraWood?
TherraWood is a wood polymer composite (WPC) material, made from a unique blend of wood and PVC. TherraWood WPC products offer an advanced alternative to standard timber wood, and provide a multitude of benefits for outdoor applications. Providing a practical solution without compromising on style, all TherraWood products retain a natural timber effect, with the added strength of polymer all in one product.
Traditional wood products have a limited lifespan when used outdoors, and require consistent maintenance and staining in order to maintain their original standard. In comparison, TherraWood is a long-lasting and low maintenance solution which preserves its initial physical properties in all weather conditions. The WPC material is resistant to damages by UV rays, moisture, insects and rotting.
TherraWood composite products provide solutions for all outdoor applications including decking systems, pergola, railing, fencing and prefabricated homes. All of our products are 100% recyclable and environmentally friendly.
TherraWood Hybrid Profiles are the latest in a long line of exciting new product developments; a system which combines the strongest properties of three materials – aluminium, timber and polymer. Suitable for use in all outdoor architectural projects, the latest composite hybrid profiles include cladding, walling and building materials.
Who are TherraWood and TherraWood UK?
TherraWood (manufactured by Universal Composite Materials, or UCM) was established in June 2008 and has since grown over 800% in means of turnover. Their headquarters are located in Istanbul, Turkey while they also operate a 65-employee manufacturing facility in Corlu, Turkey. In more recent times, TherraWood have experienced manufacturing capacity growth to 6,000 metric tonnes per annum. All stages of production, from wood grinding to polymer recycling, wood drying to extrusion are completed in-house.
A large portion of TherraWood’s growth can be attributed to their success outside of Turkey’s domestic trade. They export 50% of their production to 53 countries in 4 different continents, with TherraWood UK the latest overseas venture.
TherraWood UK Ltd was established in 2018 and is recognised as the sole distributor of TherraWood solutions in the United Kingdom. TherraWood UK’s headquarters and production facilities are located in Oldham, Greater Manchester.
The establishment of TherraWood UK comes at an exciting time, with the introduction of the TherraWood Hybrid Profiles opening up an exciting new era in the composite sector. Combining the strongest properties of three materials, aluminium, timber and polymer – TherraWood UK are uniquely positioned to supply this groundbreaking new material to outdoor architectural projects that require a durable, long lasting alternative to timber-wood.
TherraWood: A Timeline
- June 2008: TherraWood is established and founded by Universal Composite Materials Inc (UCM), opening a head office in Istanbul, Turkey, and later constructing manufacturing facilities in Corlu, Tikirdag – 100km West of the capital city headquarters. On opening, the initial setup of TherraWood included just six people, three molds and two extruders, in 1.000 sqm of premises.
- 2012: Ceased production of first generation products, leaving behind high cost virgin polymers, and moving towards more cost effective recycled polymers, offering a better quality and more mechanical properties.
- 2014: Started to produce innovative new pre-fabricated houses, made from the popular TherraWood polymer material.
- 2015: TherraWood Middle East Fzc is formed, opening warehouse and office facilities at the Sharjah Airport International Free Zone in the United Arab Emirates.
- 2015: TherraWood North America LLC is founded, offering TherraWood’s solutions from a head office in Richmond, Virginia, and a warehouse in Atlanta, Georgia.
- 2016: Received the FSC Chain of Custody certificate from using wood in production that had come from a single source and renewable forests.
- 2018: Launched a range of new products including hybrid railings, shutter frames & louvers, and aluminium posts with welded base plates.
- 2018: TherraWood joins forces with Composite Wood Company to form the new TherraWood UK Ltd, the sole distributor of products in Great Britain, also opening headquarters in Oldham, Greater Manchester.
- 2019 – Today: In a stark contrast to the initial setup, TheraWood now employs 54 people, has 42 molds, and 18 extruders, as well as three overseas joint ventures. TherraWood has also grown to export products to 54 different countries across four of the world’s continents, and have worked on over 230 individual projects.
Key projects include:
- Al Habtoor Polo Club, Dubai, UAE
- California Gold Resort, Casablanca, Morocco
– Decking, facades and pergolas for 550 villas.
- Emaar Jeddah Golf, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
– 220 shade structures for car parking.
- Yesilyaka Residential Compound, Istanbul, Turkey
- El Harrach River, Alger, Algeria
Overall, since the launch of TherraWood, over a million sqm of product has been applied, including 570,000 sqm of decking, and 250,000 sqm of pergolas.
- 2019 – The Near Future: The company prepares to launch the third generation of composite products, including the innovative new range of “Hybrid” offerings such as decking and cladding.
What you can expect from TherraWood UK
Over the coming months we will be exhibiting at a variety of trade-shows, in the pursuit of growing TherraWood reputation as the premier commercial composite in the United Kingdom.
Next up is Futurebuild 2019: Taking place from 05-07 March 2019, the event will focus on exploring and tackling the biggest challenges impacting our respective industries. It will be a unique destination for visitors to gain unrivalled insight and hands-on experience around the latest innovations, products and materials.
You can find TherraWood UK situated within the Materials Hub, spotlighting our unique blend of PVC, wood fibre and additives alongside a host of emerging alternatives from across the industry.
We will also be making a whole host of changes and improvements to our website, with the aim being to develop in-depth information resources for potential customers to learn from.
To find out more about how TherraWood WPC solutions can enhance your architectural projects, please get in touch with us here. Alternatively, email us at email@example.com or contact us via phone on 0161 624 5962.